If you have a nursing toddler and you are pregnant, or are trying to become pregnant, you may be wondering what you should do now. I have known many mothers who continued to breastfeed during pregnancy and went on to tandem nurse their toddler and the newest addition to their family. Whatever decision you make about breastfeeding during pregnancy will depend on your unique situation and what you feel is best for you and your family. Below are a few questions that you might like to consider:
- How long would you have liked to nurse your older child if you were not pregnant(or planning to become pregnant)?
- Is your child showing signs of weaning already?
- How old is your child?
- If you are already pregnant, is nursing painful and/or is your milk supply decreasing?
- How often is your toddler breastfeeding?
- Are you open to tandem nursing?
The answer to these questions might begin to help you to get an idea of the direction you are wanting to go. What does your gut tell you? Does the thought of weaning your child bring tears to your eyes, or is it the thought of nursing through morning sickness? If you are planning a pregnancy, you might like to wait until your child is at an age where you would be comfortable with them self-weaning(if your milk supply does decrease during pregnancy). If you do decide to continue nursing throughout your pregnancy, hopefully some of the following information will help you prepare:
- Many children will wean during pregnancy – some show renewed interest in breastfeeding once the baby comes and go back to nursing, others have interest but forget how to latch correctly, and others have lost interest.
- Breastfeeding during a healthy pregnancy is typically safe for you, your toddler, and your unborn baby.
- You may find that breastfeeding is less enjoyable during pregnancy(due to nausea, fatigue, or sore nipples) or you may find that you don’t experience these symptoms.
- Breastfeeding during pregnancy may help you get more rest as you can take breaks to lay down and nurse your toddler.
If you have had nursed a child during a pregnancy, please share your experiences!
Check out Plugged ducts!